Navigation - Pages

Tuesday, June 3, 2014

enjoying the brec outdoors

In college, I was determined to find a job in Colorado. I didn't care where. I didn't care what I'd be doing.

I just knew Colorado would be the best place for me because of its outdoor recreational activities. Yeah. I wanted to move to a foreign state for canoeing and rock-climbing (which I had never done before).

My dreams were quickly deflated when one of the university career counselors told me I was, basically, dumb.

The moral of this riveting story is that I love outdoor activities.

So, a few weekends ago, the boyfriend was studying for something important and I was supposed to be working. But, it was a beautiful day.

So I called up Hannah to go kayaking.


First, I tried to rent a canoe from the university rec center, but they're unavailable on weekends (absolutely silly). Next best thing, which turned out to be the absolute most amazing thing, was BREC.

BREC has an amazing park system. The Greenwood Community Park rents out canoes and kayaks for $5/hour to paddle their 18-acre lake.

#winning


Of course, you don't actually get to canoe/kayak the entire lake because most of it's blocked off by barricades or these boogers.


While it was a stunning day, and a beautifully peaceful run (despite our random outbursts of "Just Around the River Bend"), the lake had a lot of litter.

I just don't understand litterbugs.


But, like I said, it was still beautiful!!!


I mean, look at that.


I'm not so great at taking the panoramic shots.

I am, however, a master of selfies.


We decided our arms needed even more of a workout, so we hopped on over to the Perkins Road Park to climb the rock wall.


Flattering, right?

The rock wall is also $5/hour ... if you can make it that long. We each climbed twice before our upper bodies begged us very nicely to go home.


Overall, it was an absolutely amazing Saturday spent enjoying BREC's parks.

What's your favorite park activity?

No comments:

Post a Comment