Navigation - Pages

Sunday, May 25, 2014

memorial day weekend

Each Memorial Day weekend, Baton Rouge plays host to the Bayou Country Super Fest (which I affectionately refer to as the Bayou Country Freak Fest). Since my love for country music extends only as far as Patsy Cline and Taylor Swift, my purple cowgirl boots have stayed in the closet this weekend.

Instead, I began celebrating with one of the most grueling and tiresome workouts I've ever done. Say what you want about the Crossfit kool-aid. Believe me, I know. Crossfit is crazy to the outsider. (Heck, it's crazy to me, and I'm an insider.) But, those crazies do this weekend properly.

You see, there are "hero workouts." Yes, the name is scary. And, yes, these workouts are incredibly difficult. But, each workout is named for a United States hero who has given his or her life in service to our country.

I did Murph. (Granted a beginner's version ... which is still pretty damn difficult.) This workout is "in memory of Navy Lieutenant Michael Murphy, 29, of Patchogue, NY, who was killed in Afghanistan June 28th, 2005. This workout was one of Mike's favorites and he'd named it 'Body Armor.' ...  it will be referred to as 'Murph' in honor of the focused warrior and great American who wanted nothing more in life than to serve this great country and the beautiful people who make it what it is."
(Post-workout treat: Naked's coconut water ... a beautiful thing.)

 The rest of the weekend has been a beautiful, restful time of swimming, grooving to Cat Stevens (one of the first vinyls I ever bought ... maybe not the best choice for Memorial Day ...), binge-watching Friends and The Next Generation with the boy, and sipping on Perfectly Peachy Bellinis.

My bikini is, sadly, no longer available. But, Modcloth and ASOS have similar ones!




How are you celebrating Memorial Day?

No comments:

Post a Comment